Jerez Wine Tour Highlights
- Discover the renaissance that is happening in this historic region, visiting long-established bodegas and new entrants.
- Explore sherry’s history and wide range of styles: understand what lies behind all the terms: Fino, Manzanilla, Amontillado, Oloroso, Palo Cortado, Moscatel, Cream and PX.
- Experience how these lovely wines pair with food.
- Find out that there is more to the region’s wines than just sherry.
- Based in Jerez, a fabulous historic town with wonderful places to drink and eat.
- Comprehensive tastings at every visit, and four lunches or dinners.
11th-14th October 2018 – a few places remaining
18th-21st October 2018 – a few places remaining
From the Meeting Point at Seville Airport (see Flight Transfers below) we will take a coach to our hotel, in the centre of Jerez. Once we have settled in we will take a short coach ride to visit Valedespino, one of the most famous sherry bodegas, for a visit, tasting and dinner.
We will walk to a historic bodega in Jerez, for a visit and the chance to dig a bit deeper into the intricacies of sherry and the impact of long barrel ageing. We will then take the coach to the relatively new winery of Luis Perez on one of the hills overlooking Jerez and the surrounding region. We will visit the vineyard, seeing plantings of a wide variety of grape varieties and enjoy their fabulous range of red wines over a tasting lunch. Dinner at leisure.
A visit to another historic bodega, either in Jerez or Sanlucar de Barraimada, followed by a wonderful experience at La Constancia, a relatively new sherry bodega occupying a hilltop site. The chance to taste from barrel, get to grips with using the ‘venencia’, and taste a fabulous range of styles. Following a tapas lunch in the winery we will return to Jerez, to enjoy the city for a few hours before our final dinner at the gastronomic highlight of Jerez: La Carbona.
The tour ends after breakfast.. We will provide a transfer to Seville airport to coincide with the flights as detailed in the Flight Transfers. (See below)
Note: the Itinerary may be changed at Tim Syrad Wine Tours discretion so as to facilitate the smooth running of the tour and to accommodate great opportunities for visits or tastings that may become available.
Key Tour Information
* The Key Tour Information specifies what you should expect from the tour, no matter how far ahead you book. As additional information is published on the website, it will be advised to clients who have booked. The daily itinerary will be finalised in the weeks leading up to the Start Date.
Download the Key Tour Information as a pdf
- £899 per person based on 2 people sharing a double/twin room.
- £100 supplement for single occupancy of a double room
- £100 discount for bookings paid for 8 weeks before departure.
- Transport from Meeting Point at Seville Airport to our hotel in Jerez on the afternoon of Thursday 11th/18th October and from hotel to the Departure Point at Seville Airport on the morning of Sunday 14th/22nd October.
- 4 days (including arrival and departure days)/3 nights bed and breakfast in good quality hotel.
- Coach for all activities in the itinerary.
- Two full days of visits and tastings including historic sherry bodegas and modern wineries making still wines as well as sherry.
- Approximately 10 wines will be tasted each day.
- Four lunches/dinners with local wines.
- All local taxes and service charges.
- The services of Tim Syrad as your Wine Tour manager and Wine Guide.
The services of Tim Syrad as your Wine Tour manager and Wine Guide.
It is a condition of my accepting a booking that you will take out appropriate travel insurance – please see our Terms and Conditions Section 8.
Terms and Conditions are available here or on request.
Please note flights are not included in the price. Many of my clients prefer to extend their holiday before or after my tours, so I let people make their own flight arrangements.
My recommended flight option is Easyjet:
Thursday 11th October 2018 / Thursday 18th October
EJ8175 Departs London Gatwick 1205/Arrives Seville 1555.
Sunday 14th October 2018 / Sunday 21st October
EJ8176 Departs Seville 1100/Arrives London Gatwick 1240.
The BA flight arrives at 18.40 on the Thursday which would mean we could arrive in Jerez at 2100 which I feel is too late. With Easyjet we can arrive in good time to settle in and then have an extended visit/tasting dinner.
I will arrange transfers to coincide with these Easyjet flights. On the Sunday, if anyone wants a transfer into Seville itself then I will arrange that. If anyone wishes to fly back via British Airways which is an evening flight, if there is enough demand, I will arrange a later transfer as required.
How to book this tour
Please contact me by phone or email, or use the enquiry form on the Contact page on the website to check availability. If I confirm a place is available, please complete the booking form and send it to me with your deposit. A deposit of £100 is taken at booking to reserve your place, the balance must be paid 8 weeks before the tour starts.
If you don’t have travel insurance arranged for the dates of the tour at the time you are booking you will need to provide me with details (name of insurer, policy number, 24 hour emergency telephone numbers) before the tour starts.
Once I have confirmed a tour is proceeding I advise clients to arrange flights and confirm travel arrangements to me. Please do not arrange flights before I have confirmed your place and that the tour is proceeding.
More about what to expect from my Jerez Wine Tour
Sherry is one of the most famous wines in the world and although it has lost a lot of its popularity and market share, it is a drink that many people hold in great affection. This is the first tour I have run to this part of Spain and I am so excited to be able to demonstrate at first hand the incredible quality and extraordinary value for money that sherry offers. There is also a mesmerising mix of styles ranging from bone dry through to unctuously sweet. Allied to the different styles, the Solera production system is fundamentally important to understand in order to fully appreciate the unique tastes and qualities that sherry offers.
The tour will also focus on locally produced still wines, particularly reds. Despite the focus on sherry, this part of Spain also produces some excellent dry whites made from the Palomino grape, and a number of full-bodied reds made from international and local grape varieties. The food scene is vibrant and the tour will give us the opportunity to experience some fascinating food pairing opportunities.
We are staying in the lovely city of Jerez, a wonderful base from which to explore a region of Spain that deserves to be discovered. Jerez particularly has a wonderful history and a distinct culture. From the Moors to Flamenco to the beauty of the the Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art, adding a few days to your holiday would be very wise….
About Tim Syrad Wine Tours
Since 2001 I have escorted over 100 groups of people on tours to wine regions in Europe and the New World. My clients keep coming back year after year because in addition to tastings and visits we really do meet the people who make the wine and tend the vines.
I pride myself in offering tours that are informative, imaginative and enjoyable. I keep group sizes manageable so that we spend our time appreciating our visits, not getting on and off the bus or queuing for the loos! I personally escort all of my tours, and I ensure as much as possible of the money my clients pay is spent on great food and wine, and good hotels.
I believe you can combine appreciating fabulous wine with relaxation and laughter, which is why so many of my clients come on tour with me every year. There is a friendly and welcoming atmosphere on every tour from the start, and I am proud that many friendships have been made between the people who come on tour with me.