Galicia Wine Tour Highlights
- Visit a wine region in its ascendancy – the quality and diversity of Galician wines are receiving international recognition.
- Discover the fascinating different areas of Rias Baixas, Ribeiro, Bierzo and Ribeira Sacra
- Learn about the local grapes: Albariño, Mencia, Godello and a host of others in a stunning mix of locations.
- Meet wonderful family growers, whose younger members are driving innovation and putting Galicia on the map.
- Based in Cambados for two nights and a further two nights in Monforte de Lemos.
- Comprehensive tastings at every visit, and four fabulous tasting lunches or dinners
15th – 19th May 2019
22nd – 26th May 2019
12th – 16th June 2019
All three tours are nearly full so please contact me to check availability
From the Meeting Point at Porto Airport (see Flight Transfers below) we will take a coach to the Parador hotel in Cambados. Dinner that night will be taken in a local restaurant near the hotel, where I will host an introduction to the wines of the region.
The first full day of the tour explores Rias Baixas – the home of the Albariño grape. We will visit top class producers such as Palacio de Fefiñanes and the boutique Gerardo Mendez along with a tasting lunch at the stunning Pazo de Señoráns. Dinner at leisure.
We pack our cases and head east to the Ribeiro region. Our first stop will be at EVEGA – an experimental research station where we will taste a number of lesser known indigenous grapes. We then visit Viña Mein – a small boutique producer for lunch. We transfer to the Parador in Monforte de Lemos for the next two nights. Dinner at leisure.
Our exploration continues into Ribeira Sacra and Bierzo as we visit two wonderful estates: Bodega Regina Viarum and Luna Beberide. A voyage of discovery awaits as we taste the acclaimed Mencia grape and get to know these high quality DO areas.
Final night dinner together at a top local restaurant in Monforte de Lemos.
The tour ends after breakfast. We will provide a transfer to Oporto airport to coincide with flights as detailed (see Flight Transfers below).
Note: the Itinerary may be changed at Tim Syrad Wine Tours discretion so as to facilitate the smooth running of the tour and to accommodate great opportunities for visits or tastings that may become available.
Key Tour Information*
* The Key Tour Information specifies what you should expect from the tour, no matter how far ahead you book. As additional information is published on the website, it will be advised to clients who have booked and the daily itinerary will be finalised in the weeks leading up to the Start Date.
Download the Key Tour Information as a pdf
- £1,049 per person based on 2 people sharing a double/twin room.
- £100 supplement for single occupancy of a double room.
- £100 discount for bookings made before 1st January 2019, and paid for 8 weeks before departure.
- Transport from Meeting Point at Oporto Airport to the hotel in Cambados on Wednesday 15th May/22nd May/12th June, and from Monforte de Lemos to the Departure Point at Oporto Airport on Sunday 19th May/26th May/16th June.
- 5 days (including arrival and departure days)/4 nights bed and breakfast in good quality hotels. On this tour you will spend two nights each in two different hotels.
- Coach for all activities in the itinerary, including transfer to our hotel in Monforte de Lemos on Friday 17th May/ 24th May/14th June.
- Three full days of visits and tastings.
- Six visits/tastings, including wineries in Rias Baixas, Ribeiro, Ribeira Sacra and Bierzo.
- Approximately 12 wines will be tasted each day.
- Four lunches/dinners with local wines.
- All local taxes and service charges.
- The services of Tim Syrad as your Wine Tour manager and Wine Guide.
It is a condition of my accepting a booking that you take out appropriate travel insurance – please see our Terms and Conditions Section 8.
Terms and Conditions are available here or on request.
Please note flights are not included in the price. Many of my clients prefer to extend their holiday before or after my tours, so I let people make their own flight arrangements.
Our Meeting Point and Departure Point is Porto airport (OPO). It is only an hour from the Spanish border and offers a wider range of flight possibilities. I will arrange transfers to/from our hotel to correspond with the following flights offered by TAP AirPortugal, British Airways and Easyjet.
Outbound on 15th, 22nd May & 12th June: London Gatwick (LGW) to Porto (OPO)
TAP Air Portugal TP0331: Departs LGW 1200 – Arrives OPO at 1420
Easyjet 8583 from LGW: Departs 0950 – Arrives OPO at 1215
Inbound on 19th, 26th May & 16th June: Porto (OPO) to London Gatwick (LGW)
TAP Air Portugal TP0338: Departs OPO 1750 – Arrives LGW at 2005
British Airways BA2783: Departs OPO 1910 – Arrives LGW at 2120
Please note that I am not offering a transfer to connect with the Easyjet flight on the Sunday.
Please contact me if you would like to discuss travel options, for example flying to or from a different airport or making the journey by rail or driving or joining us at the hotel. I cannot arrange travel for you, but I can advise on what might work best.
How to book this tour
Please contact me by phone or email, or use the enquiry form on the Contact page on the website to check availability. If I confirm a place is available, please complete the booking form and send it to me with your deposit. A deposit of £100 is taken at booking to reserve your place, the balance must be paid 8 weeks before the tour starts.
If you don’t have travel insurance arranged for the dates of the tour at the time you are booking you will need to provide me with details (name of insurer, policy number, 24 hour emergency telephone numbers) before the tour starts.
Once I have confirmed a tour is proceeding I advise clients to arrange flights and confirm travel arrangements to me. Please do not arrange flights before I have confirmed your place and that the tour is proceeding.
More about my Galicia Wine Tour
Galicia’s exquisite scenery is created from the bordering ocean, mountains and rivers, we will enjoy the dramatic coastlines with steep cliffs alternating with ‘rias’, the coastal inlets, and lush green hills which ascend to the Cantabrian Mountains and the Picos de Europa beyond.
Abundant sunshine and cooling sea breezes also bless Galicia, allowing grapes to achieve beautiful ripeness combined with perfect acidity. Galicia is rapidly gaining an international reputation for its high quality white wines. The Albariño grape is particularly successful in the Rías Baixas, the finest wines characterised by intense aromatics and long floral finish.
In Ribeira Sacra, in the heart of Galicia, winemaking dates back to Roman times, and the more continental climate and steep terraces lend themselves to the production of fine red wine, particularly made from the Mencia grape variety. Ribeiro, as its name suggests is on the confluence of four rivers, and in addition to Albariño, Treixadura, Torrontes, Godello and Loureiro thrive.
Although part of Castilla y Léon, Bierzo is geographically far closer to Galicia, and the Atlantic Ocean ensures its climate is also similar. Here Mencia and Garnacha enjoy sunshine and altitude and ripen gradually, producing elegant wines that benefit from maturation in oak.
Galician food is about the sea and the land. Fish and shellfish abound, as do cow’s milk cheeses and pork dishes, and the superb local vegetables make for a colourful and fresh gastronomic experience. Try to leave room for pudding!
Because the most important areas we need to visit are a few hours’ drive apart, I have decided to make this a two centre holiday. For our visits around Rias Baixas we will stay for two nights near the coast, and move to an inland location for better access to Ribeiro and Bierzo for the final two nights.
We will be staying in paradors, or hotels of equivalent quality, so we can look forward to beautiful spaces where we can relax after a hard day’s tasting, and convene ready for an evening’s tapas or dinner.
Vineyard in Rias Baixas
Monforte de Lemos
More about Tim Syrad Wine Tours
Since 2001 I have escorted over 100 groups of people on tours to wine regions in Europe and the New World. My clients keep coming back year after year because in addition to tastings and visits we really do meet the people who make the wine and tend the vines.
I pride myself in offering tours that are informative, imaginative and enjoyable. I keep group sizes manageable so that we spend our time appreciating our visits, not getting on and off the bus or queuing for the loos! I personally escort all of my tours, and I ensure as much as possible of the money my clients pay is spent on great food and wine, and good hotels.
I believe you can combine appreciating fabulous wine with relaxation and laughter, which is why so many of my clients come on tour with me every year. There is a friendly and welcoming atmosphere on every tour from the start, and I am proud that many friendships have been made between the people who come on tour with me.
I hope I have inspired you to consider this tour, please do not hesitate to contact me to find out more.
By phone (020 7060 4529)
Or email (email@example.com)
Or use the online enquiry form on the Contact page